VMware released vSphere 4.1 Update 1
Tonight VMware released Update 1 for vSphere 4.1 and vCenter server 4.1.
Update 1 for ESX/ESXi contains a few new/improved features:
- Enablement of Trusted Execution Technology (TXT) — ESXi 4.1 Update 1 can be configured to boot with Intel Trusted Execution Technology (TXT). This boot option can protect ESXi in some cases where system binaries are corrupted or have been tampered with. TXT is currently available on Intel Xeon processor 5600 series servers.
- Improvement in scalability — ESX 4.1 Update 1 supports up to 160 logical processors.
- Support for additional guest operating systems — Added support for RHEL 6, RHEL 5.6, SLES 11 SP1 for VMware, Ubuntu 10.10, and Solaris 10 Update 9 guest operating systems.
- Inclusion of additional drivers — ESX 4.1 Update 1 includes the 3ware SCSI 2.26.08.036vm40 and Neterion vxge 220.127.116.1139-p18.104.22.168 drivers.
Update 1 for vCenter server contains the following improvements:
- Additional Guest Operating System Customization Support: vCenter Server now supports customization of the following guest operating systems:
- Windows 7 SP1 (x32 and x64)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (x32 and x64)
- RHEL 6.0 (x32 and x64)
- RHEL5.5 (x32 and x64)
- Additional vCenter Server Database Support: vCenter Server now supports the following databases:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 SP3
- Oracle 11g Standard/Enterprise Release 2, 22.214.171.124.0 or later, (x32 and x64)
- IBM DB2 9.7.2 Express C (x32 and x64)
- IBM DB2 9.7.2 Enterprise (x32 and x64)
For more information on installation, upgrade or compatibility check the release notes.