eLearing: Transition to ESXi Essentials
Yesterday Anne Jan linked me to an article on the VMware website which contained information on a free online training course. The title is Transition to ESXi Essentials. The course is dedicated to ESXi and depending on your learning style it takes about 3 hours to complete. It’s broken up in several chapters so you don’t have to do all at once.
Since VMware is moving towards ESXi, abandoning ESX with its Service Console, it’s a great time to release a course all about ESXi and how to manage it.
During the course you will be instructed on:
- The differences between ESX and ESXi
- The two types of ESXi (Installable and Embedded)
- How to install ESXi (Installable)
- How to connect to ESXi hosts
- vSphere client
- vSphere Management Assistant (vMA)
- vSphere CLI (vCLI)
- VMware vSphere PowerCLI
- Why you should start migrating to ESXi now
- How to migrate from ESX to ESXi
- Some management tasks you can/should perform
During the course there are demonstrations telling you exactly what to do for a certain goal. These demonstrations are really easy to follow and to repeat in your own (test)environment.
The course in general can be really informative, especially when you are a administrator that just started to work with VMware ESXi. Administrators that have been working with ESXi for some time might find it repeating. Personally I find it a nice refreshment course with some material I didn’t knew yet.
One of the complains I have about the course though is that the sound recording during the presentation part is stuttering. During the demonstrations it is fine, but I muted the sound during the presentation and just read the notes which works just as well.
Despite the sound I will still recommend this course for everyone. There is good information in this course and it would be a shame to not at least have a look at it.
- VMware Fling – ESXi Mac Learning dvFilter by Anne Jan Elsinga
- vSphere 6.5 General Available Today! by Alex Muetstege
- Removing VMware Data Security after vShield to NSX upgrade by Martijn Smit
- Configuring Log Insight for vSphere Integration by Anne Jan Elsinga
- VMware Fling – Latency Sensitivity Troubleshooting… by Anne Jan Elsinga