View 4.6 vs XenDesktop 5
The competition in the VDI space is fierce and VMware is slowly closing the gap with the features their products are offering compared to the competition.
Although the gap is closing VMware is still very much in the lead when it comes to setting up and administrating the virtual environment.
On the YouTube channel vmwareview there are four video’s released showing some administrating tasks for both VMware view 4.6 and Citrix XenDesktop 5.
Each video aims at a different task:
- Video one is about creating a master image
- Video two shows how to create a desktop pool
- Video three shows how the add/remove a desktop
- Video four is showing how to remove a desktop pool
In each video you can see that VMware view 4.6 takes a lot less steps to take and is not complicated to manage. One thing to keep in mind is that both VMware view 4.6 and Citrix XenDesktop 5 are setup in a VMware vSphere infrastructure. Now I don’t have experience with Citrix XenDesktop but I can imaging that their can be less steps to take if it was installed in a Citrix XenServer infrastructure, though I don’t believe it will be much less then was showed in the video’s.
I think these video’s can give a good impression for people on the manageability differences between VMware View 4.6 and Citrix XenDesktop 5. The video’s alone should not be the soul reason for you to choose for either product, but in my opinion it sure does count in making a decision and for me VMware is showing why they are still the marked leader in virtualization.
- VMGuru TV Episode 4 by Anne Jan Elsinga
- Cloud Automation Services in action by Dimitri De Swart
- We finally did it: VMGuru TV Episode 1 - working /… by Anne Jan Elsinga
- Interview with a NetApp Cloud Architect | VMGuru TV by Anne Jan Elsinga
- VMGuru TV Episode 2: What if you need support? by Anne Jan Elsinga