VMware acquires Virsto Software
Today, VMware announced the acquisition of Virsto Software, a company which creates storage optimization software for virtual environments.
Any administrator will tell you that managing performance and data services for virtual machines can be challenging, especially in I/O-intensive environments like virtual desktops. With Virsto storage optimization software you can accelerate I/O performance for any block-based storage system and deliver data efficiency services like snapshots and clones. With these technologies it is possible to improve the performance and utilization of storage systems.
Paired with VMware vSphere, the Virsto storage hypervisor is a simple plug-in that addresses the storage problems associated with server and desktop virtualization. With Virsto enterprises can:
- Reduce VM disk footprint by 90%
- Unclog I/O bottlenecks and triple VM density
- Increase VM performance up to 10x
- Eliminate 99% of the time spent provisioning VM storage
VMware will continue to offer Virsto’s standalone virtual appliance to help accelerate storage performance and improve efficiency in VMware vSphere environments. But their main use for Virsto is to include the Virsto technology into the VMware products and improve their software defined storage solutions and therefor improving their overall software defined datacenter solution.
More information regarding the acquisition can be found here.
- Webinar: Optimizing Business Value and Minimizing Risk by Erik Scholten
- VMworld 2015: VMware introduces EVO SDDC by Erik Scholten
- VMware Virtual SAN (vSAN) is available now! by Erik Scholten
- VMware Horizon 6 available for download NOW by Alex Muetstege
- What’s new in vSphere 6 Storage by Erik Scholten