VMware Fling – VM Resource and Availability Service
This Fling enables you to perform a what-if analysis for host failures on your infrastructure. You can simulate failure of one or more hosts from a cluster (in vSphere) and identify how many:
- VMs would be safely restarted on different hosts
- VMs would fail to be restarted on different hosts
- VMs would experience performance degradation after restarted on a different host
With this information, you can better plan the placement and configuration of your infrastructure to reduce downtime of your VMs/Services in case of host failures.
How it works
It’s pretty easy actually:
- Open hasimulator.vmware.com to access the web service.
- Click on “Simulate Now” to accept the EULA terms, upload the DRM dump file and start the simulation process.
- Click on the help icon (at the top right corner) for a detailed description on how to use this service.
It works with Chrome, FireFox and IE, so no limitations there!